Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Memoir Pitch

The prompt this week for RemembeRED from Write on Edge was to write a 200 word pitch for your memoir.

An idyllic childhood turns sour when a young girl makes the mistake of angering her friends, leading to her ostracization.  Compounding the problem are her family issues, which lead to her withdrawing into herself.

After being bullied for years, she is broken and feels like she has nothing to live for.  Her self-mutilation and cries for help go unanswered until she meets the man who will change her world.

He is everything she thought she wanted, but the fairytale doesn't last long.  She gets drawn into a dark underworld of abuse, drug addiction, and lies, where, in desperation, she sinks to unfathomable lows.

Although she finally gains the courage to break free of the relationship, she can't kick the drugs and manages to drag everyone around her down as well.

An unexpected pregnancy gives her the strength she needs to turn her life around.  Motherhood proves to be a fulfilling experience, and she finally finds the happiness that  has escaped her for so long.


Write on Edge: RemembeRED

6 comments:

  1. It sounds very powerful- a real emotional roller-coaster to read. I'm so glad it has a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it! It would absolutely be a compelling read!

    In terms on concrit, I think you should always leave your reader wanting more... so perhaps ending it as:

    "He is everything she thought she wanted, but the fairytale doesn't last long. She gets drawn into a dark underworld of abuse, drug addiction, and lies, where, in desperation, she sinks to unfathomable lows.

    Will an unexpected pregnancy be the glue that holds her together or the last straw that topples everything?"

    [Please excuse my tired metaphors!!]

    - Barbara, @ derebus, via Write on Edge
    www(dot)derebus(dot)net/home/?p=386

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Barbara's concrit. I am glad this has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued. Are you working on this now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Barbara's concrit, too. There's so much to your story, and I love the happy ending. Still, there's so much more time left, and I like the idea of keeping it open to the next chapter (pun intended) of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. This kept me glued. Please stop by my stoop as I have something there for you.

    ReplyDelete