Friday, September 23, 2011

Would You Know Any Takers?

Brash and impulsive woman seeking a man to cater to my whims.  I love having fun and spending time with my friends.  Every night is a party!  You can find me in the bar every night-I'm the loud girl and the alpha dog.
I enjoy my independence and work two jobs to support my lifestyle.  I'm devoted to being the boss and assistant manager at a retail store, where I can boss around my subordinates and lay low since I'm frequently hungover.  I live for my friends and my ill-mannered dogs.
I need a man who knows that I run the show.  I will do what I want to do, an you will accept that.  It's my way or the highway.  I hate being second-guessed or told what to do.
My perfect man is a doormat who spends a lot of time away from home.   I would love an active military man who will be deployed, or someone who works a lot and takes frequent business trips.  I need my home-alone time, if you know what I mean.
If you like to party and have no backbone, I may just be the woman for you!  Be prepared to do what I say and stay in the shadows.  I can't wait to walk all over you!

This post was written in response to this week's Red Writing Hood prompt from Write on Edge.  We want you to write a personal ad for your character, like one you would find on a dating site. The ad should tell us about your character, but should not be a laundry list – and no cliches about walks on the beach.
My personal ad is for the boyfriend's sister, and I think it's clear that we do not get along.  Her divorce is newly finalized, since she couldn't deal with living with her husband after he left the Navy-and all the cheating didn't help either.


8 comments:

  1. I see by the post-script that you didn't really mean for us to like this character, but before I knew she was real-ish, I kind of did.

    This was a great interpretation of the post - I got to know her very quickly through your words, and you made me laugh with the "and you will accept that" part.

    #writeonedge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, she's quite the lady! Definitely controlling and bossy...not looking for an equal share in a relationship but looking to run it.

    "If you like to party and have no backbone, I may be just the woman for you."

    I certainly know men who would go for this...*sigh*

    But I think my favorite part of this piece was your last line. It was killer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadly there are men attracted to this ... maybe she will meet her equal.
    nicely done. sad though.


    "I need my home-alone ime, if you know what I mean." (add a "T" to time)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehehe--sounds like a winner, if you can find him! (I am being sarcastic) Great job describing the lady and the man of her dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. What a lovely woman. Like this take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow--I don't ever want to meet this woman. And I certainly wouldn't let anyone I know date her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the comments! Sadly, I do know some men also who would go for a woman like this-what a shame. And yes, she is pretty awful in person. @Amanda-thanks for pointing out that time was misspelled. I appreciate it, since I hate spelling errors and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it before I posted this :)

    ReplyDelete