Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Thanksgiving Table

The children giggle, throwing silverware and bits of napkin at each other while little feet kick furiously under the cover of the tablecloth.

The dog pitifully yaps, begging to be let out of its crate to enjoy the meal he's smelled cooking all day long.

Aunts and uncles chatter loudly about the insignificant, refilling their wine glasses one too many times.

Grandma slumps forward in the high-backed chair, snoring gently while false teeth click together.

"Ahem!" knife clinking loudly against glass, "We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing..."

The meal has begun.

This post was written in response to this week's prompt from Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus.  The prompt this week: "We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing".  Word count not to exceed 100 words plus the prompt.
Jenny Matlock

7 comments:

  1. I can picture this perfectly! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You painted a vivid picture, here. Happy Thanksgiving!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep that sounds like Thanksgiving around here too!~Ames
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, now I really can't wait for Thursday. I can smell the turkey cooking now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.k., well, I'm the one snoring after getting the meal all together for the little beggars! Have a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, humorous writing of all the many regular happenings during Thanksgiving that still make me chuckle....Bravo !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED THIS!

    And, yes, I was shouting!

    This is my absolutely favorite kind of writing...I see it unfold inside my head and I am there...in that place, in that time, in those moments of perfect chaos.

    Bravo!

    This was really, really well written.

    ReplyDelete