So all I've been able to think about this weekend is Princess' teeth. I am so beyond stressed out about it. We have a consult with the dentist Monday afternoon, and it can't come soon enough but at the same time, I don't even want to go.
Over the summer, the boyfriend took her to the dentist because she had a couple discolored gray spots on her two front top teeth. Apparently they were cavities and she had 4 of them and would need 3 root canals and 4 crowns to fix them. We don't have dental insurance and we didn't have the money to pay for it, so we put it off.
Now her teeth look worse. I can actually see the cavities on the two front teeth, and the other two teeth have gray spots. So we have to get it fixed, and I need to borrow money to do it. I spoke with the dentist's office and they told me she has to go under general anesthesia at the hospital to get it done because she is not a very good patient. This will cost me $1750 plus whatever my medical insurance doesn't pay for the operating room, anesthesia, etc.
I don't know if I want to do this. I've read about baby crowns getting screwed up easily and the teeth have to be pulled anyway. When she's mad, Princess bangs her head on the floor. I have a feeling she may knock the crowns off if she gets them.
Also, I'm terrified of her going under general anesthesia. She's only 2 1/2. Anesthesia can be dangerous. And it's just her teeth, it's not some lifesaving surgery or something really medically necessary. I just don't know if I can agree to this.
T already had his top 4 teeth pulled due to an accident this spring. I think this is what I would prefer to do with Princess. I already know what it entails. She will be sedated with some liquid medicine. When she is sleepy, she will sit on someone's lap and get nitrous and a shot of Novocaine, and they will pull the teeth. It will all take less than an hour (30-40 minutes for the sedative to kick in, 10 minutes to pull the teeth, 5-10 minutes to recover). And it will cost me $1650. Then I can get her a flipper if need be so it looks like she has the teeth there.
The boyfriend totally disagrees with me on this. He wants to get the teeth fixed. It has been really tense all weekend. I just don't know what the best thing to do for her will be. I don't want to make the wrong decision but my gut is telling me to just get the teeth pulled. I don't want to start a fight with her dad or the dentist, but I think they're wrong. And I'm the one who is going to borrow the money, so I'd like to think that if we can't agree, I should get to choose in the end. But I also feel like thinking that way is messed up.
I really just don't know what to do. I wish the boyfriend would come around to thinking my way. It's going to be weird at the consultation when we don't agree on what to do. I wish it could just be over and done with already. And I wish someone had told me sooner that cavities were contagious. I really feel like I failed because both T and Princess have messed up front teeth. Even though we make sure they brush every day. I'm praying something doesn't happen to Goober now. I want tomorrow to be over.
NOTE: We went to the appointment and the dentist agreed with me that she should have 3 teeth removed because her roots are resorping. Tomorrow we have consult with the oral surgeon who pulled T's teeth. A month after the teeth are removed, she will get fitted for fake baby teeth. I am happy. And T now has a gigantic hole in his tooth-he had no cavities a month ago, so he must have smashed it on something and broken it. I hope it is fill-able. Also, any parents with kids over 1 who still use a bottle-stop before it's too late. The dentist told me that is why both my kids have bad front top teeth-the bottle. Look up baby bottle mouth to see some awful pictures of what it does to teeth.