Thursday, January 12, 2012

So Startled I Mom-Failed

I'm linking up to Mama Kat's today with prompt 2.) Describe a  time you felt startled.

This is also the story of my guiltiest moment as a mom.  I've contemplated telling it before, but always changed my mind.

I absolutely hate when anything or anyone touches my feet.  It freaks me out.  I don't do pedicures, I don't do foot massage, I scream at my kids when they do it to try to get a rise out of me.

One morning, I was taking a nap.  My leg must have been hanging off the edge of the bed.  I was woken up by something touching my foot.  I freaked, and kicked at it, assuming it was one of my cats.

It was my son.  Turns out I kicked him square in the mouth.  I felt awful.  He was crying and complaining that his mouth hurt, but there was no blood, so I thought it would get better in a few days.

Wrong again.  A couple days later, I noticed that one of his top teeth (not the front tooth, the one next to it) had broken off at his gumline.   I quickly called the pediatric dentist in a panic and he came in on a Sunday to see T.

It turns out T needed to get his 4 top teeth taken out.  Because I accidentally kicked him in the face.  Can you say epic mom fail?

His teachers and stuff have asked me what happened to his teeth, and I can only bring myself to tell them that he had an accident.  I still feel awful about it, but he's pretty comfortable and happy, even without the teeth.

Toothless T with his Nana


Mama’s Losin’ It

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. What story...it's terribly funny...but oh how that must have hurt. Thanks for sharing that. Shows you anything can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I can imagine how you felt. I will have to be careful because i cant stand my feet messed with either. luckily my kids dont mess with me about it, but just in case.great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a very dramatic startle response. I can totally understand this and have also kicked one of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your hatred of people touching my feet, and could easily see something like this happening to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh ... hope his toothless smile eases the guilt. He still looks terribly cute!

    Thanks for stopping by Snapshots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. So funny and sad at the same time! Poor kiddo. Can't imagine how horrible it must have felt for him to be kicked in the face by his mom! Let's hope it's one of those memories he'll forget as he grows up....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, what a handsome little devil. Second, don't beat yourself up, accidents happen. I know that's easier said than done but I'm also sure you're hard enough on yourself as it is.

    Just think, what a great story (and warning) it'll be for him when he's embarking on parenthood.

    Great post, bravely written.

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the comments! I still feel bad I kicked him in the face, even though it was an accident. And explaining to the dentist what happened? Humiliating. He does look pretty cute without the teeth, though. :)

    ReplyDelete